PsA is a lifelong condition that can change how you look and feel, both physically and mentally. The many manifestations of this disease can affect your personal relationships with family and friends, and these impacts should not be ignored. To ensure you feel supported, involve your partner in the treatment process and encourage open communication about your experience and needs.
Similarly, if you are a partner of someone with PsA, you should also take disease management seriously, and help support your partner’s care by:
- Checking in on your partner and asking them how they feel
- Understanding that there are “good days” and “bad days”, and being patient
- Encouraging and supporting a healthy diet, regular exercise and reduction of alcohol and tobacco
- Assisting with and accompanying your partner to medical appointments, if necessary
- Being mindful of new or worsening symptoms